S. Walter Martin Papers
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Dr. Sidney Walter Martin was the fifth president of Valdosta State College. He served from 1966-1978  in which time he continued the building trend that had begun under Dr. Thaxton.  During his presidency, Dr. Martin dedicated Odum Library, the Fine Arts Building, the Education Center, the College Union, and three dormitories: Langdale Hall, Lowndes Hall, and Georgia Hall.  He also reorganized the college and started graduate programs.  These physical changes mirrored social changes that took place on campus during this time.  The students were less homogenous, and college assumptions such as “in locus parentis,” or the college acting in place of the parents, fell away.  Among new programs were two often associated with Martin: nursing and Air Force ROTC.  The name of the sports teams—The VSU Rebels—was changed to the VSC Blazers; and women’s intercollegiate sports finally began with the Lady Blazers. Dr. Martin's papers are largely made up of correspondence which he wrote during his time as President. These give a  picture of the changes he implemented at Valdosta State such as the construction of new buildings, and the creation of  new programs and schools. Martin also donated his papers concerning his time as President of Emory University, and his involvement with the Methodist Church. Overall, this collection gives a look into the work done by Walter Martin in his career as an administrator.
Held at:
Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections
Valdosta State University Archives, Odum Library
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Phone: 229-333-7150
Fax: 229-259-5055
Email: dsdavis [at] valdosta.edu
Record Series Number: UA/2/1/5
Volume: 0.0
Acquired: 00/00/00nd.
Subject Index
Emory University
Martin, S. (Sidney) Walter
Odum Library
Valdosta State College
Acquisition Notes: S. Walter Martin  undated Donor Agreement signed by S. Walter Martin