Whitehead Camelia Trail
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

The Whitehead Camellia Trail was donated as a Christmas gift in 1944 to Georgia State Womans College. Mrs. Jewel Whitehead donated 150 camellia plants to the college, and took the time and effort to plant them on the north end of the main campus amongst some pine trees. She continuously worked on the trail throughout the rest of her life, adding new flowers and keeping up the old ones.

This collection contains correspondence about the Trail, the history of it, and newspaper articles about it.  There is also a wooden box of cards which lists each plant.

Held at:
Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections
Valdosta State University Archives, Odum Library
1500 N. Patterson St.
Valdosta, GA 31698
Phone: 229-333-7150
Fax: 229-259-5055
Email: dsdavis [at] valdosta.edu
Record Series Number: UA/22/19
Volume: 0.5 Boxes
Acquired: 03/05/2005. 9-9-2009 box of cards with info on the plants in the Camellia Trail that dates to the 1940's 1950's
Subject Index
Georgia State Womans College
Whitehead Camellia Trail
Acquisition Notes: Wayne Faircloth  signed deed of gift